Monday 18 January 2016

Six Step Story of a Design

From inspiration to product in just twenty years... (!)

Hearing the Babylon Zoo version of Spaceman for the first time

1. In the mid nineties I was studying printed textiles at university. It was around the time when the Levi's 'Spaceman' advert was on the TV, and Blur had released their single and video to 'The Universal'. Now known in the UK as the British Gas tune.

2. I took the sci-fi theme, and looked at other influences such as The Designers Republic (bold, futuristic, flat colours), and retro comic book sci-fi (1950's and 60's Barbarella type stuff).


People once did art on paper - made from trees!

3. We had no access to computers (life was hard back then, we lived in a shoebox at the bottom of a lake etc), so to get bright flat colours for repetition, I made simple, abstract designs out of cut paper. Bless!

4. Generally speaking, the limitations of traditional media can push you in directions and styles you wouldn't necessarily go with software; it also creates subtle imperfections. These are good things.

5. I don't have much old work left lying about, and as a rule I'd say it's better to look forward and make shiny new things...

...but these are simple, bold and unusual - and I can guarantee they're worth nothing to me hidden away.

6. Twenty years after cutting them out of paper, I can apply these and other patterns to previews of products, and quickly present them for sale to a worldwide audience. What next, hover boards!?

Note: This is not me. I am male and do not own a hoverboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment